UTzone.de -->> [UT99 | UT2004 | UT3 | UT4 ] Feel the Emotions - AS-Holocorp
Home | Forum | Downloads | Videos | Artikel | Server-Stats | Impressum

Zurück   UTzone.de > Downloads > Unreal Tournament 2004 > Assault

Zielbetrag
Zielbetrag für diesen Monat: 50 EUR, erhalten: 10 EUR (20%)
Jetzt spenden

» Navigation
» News
» PartnerLinks

Navigation
Hauptseite | Kategorie-Ansicht | Suche
Dateiname: AS-Holocorp Download

Don't link directly to this file!
Link to this page!
Dateigrösse: 8,81 MB
Autor: Christopher J Dionne
Hochgeladen von: Donzi
Hinzugefügt am: 12.01.2010
Downloads: 2520
Bewertung: 0
Map - Pics
AS-Holocorp
Beschreibung
 AS-Holocorp
-------------------------
-Christopher J Dionne
(aka Glaurung)
(aaka Feffer)

----------------------------
Info:

File: AS-Holocorp.ut2
Map Name: Holocorp
Brief: An Assault map for Unreal Tournament 2004. Attackers must raid the Holocorp facility, steal and then escape with the Power Core. Suggested 10-20 players. **Bots Not yet supported**
Notes: This is my first assault map, first unreal map and also first publicly released map (though i've been mapping off and on for over 6 years now). Any comments, thoughts or (intelligible) criticisms are more then welcome as they can only help me improve for future maps. There are sersioud bot issues as well, they can be very detrimental as they hog and don't drive the hellbender - i highly recommend if you run this on your server to not include bots with this map
Author: Christopher J Dionne aka Glaurung ([Holo]Glaurung) aaka Feffer
Email: glaurung(at)glaurungslair.com
Websites: http://www.glaurungslair.com
http://www.clan-holo.com
Unreal Server: Holo House of Ugly - ip 131.215.35.176

Installation:

Unzip the file AS-Holocorp.zip to your UT2004 directory or drag the file into your UT2004/maps folder, then open up the game and select it from the list or join one of the many many servers sure to be playing. You can also just double click on the map file if that tickles your fancy.

Story:

This scenario is a recreation of the rebel strike led by Turin Turinbar against the Holocorp corporation. Holocorp, long known for their excessive abuses and manipulations of peoples through control of supplies and natural resources was left in a particularly vulnerable state after unexpected seismic activity at their Core facility on Lang. Having lost considerable defensive points as well as one of their two energy cores they were in a particularly vulnerable position, a situation seized on by Turinbar and his raiders. The raiders infiltrated the complex, liberated the core and escaped, both empowering themselves and dealing a devastating blow to the Holocorp's influence on Lang, eventually leading to Holocorp's estrangement from that system.

Objectives:

In order to infiltrate the facility, the attackers must drive an explosive-laden Hellbender into the boiler room door. Attackers can drive directly to the door via a long and perilous route or they may optionally choose to destroy the barricade and clear a shorter route, securing a forward position. Either way, driving the Hellbender into the door secures entrance to the facility. Once inside, the attackers must progress through various paths deeper into the facility and must destroy the shield generators then open the blast doors. Next, the attackers must destroy a storage tank, and in so doing blow a hole in an already structurally-compromised wall, gaining access to the Core antechamber. Securing the antechamber grants access to the Core. Once inside, the attackers must lower the shield protecting the Core and then steal the Core itself, gaining access to the elevators. Finally, the attackers must make their way to the roof and escape with the Core

Author's Ramblings:

This is my first map for the unreal engine, and indeed the first map i've ever released publicly (though not the first map i've made - that honor goes to a oval shaped room with two pillars for Duke Nukem 3d). I thought to make Holocorp on somewhat of a whim, having been disappointed with the assault maps that had been released up to that point, i first came up with the idea of a map where you ascend (at one point) up a tall tall building really fast. That changed into the 'break in, steal thing, escape on roof' that Holocorp currently is. Just to give you an idea, i started this map . . . a while ago. I've been working on it since April or May and its now September, and i estimate that i've put in at least 300 man hours on this project, and 99 versions (just the way it worked out). From my first subtracted brush to my final build its been a long, strange and arduous journey, learning both UnrealED (quite different from mapping for an id game) and realizing what a monumental task it is to create an assault map. I applaud anyone who completes a polished fun assault map and can't help but take my hat off to you - this is the hardest mapping project i've ever tried to do.
That said, what you're playing isn't exactly what i envisioned when i started. The reason is, two weeks ago i heard about the Make Something Unreal Tournament. Well, i'd heard about it before, but two weeks ago i found out there was an 'assault map' category, and after some deliberation made the decision to finish the map before the deadline. The problem with this decision was it meant i had a little over a week and a half to do what i intended on doing over the span of a month. Additionally i wanted to be able to playtest the beta's for a week (at least) before finalizing, but alas that wasn't to be. Luckily we played the map early on in the build and got most of the gameplay really really solid early on. I have to say (hopefully not straining my arm) that there are some really heart pounding matches, especially coming down to the wire at the end there.
Still, there is a lot i would like to have done differently. The bot support is weak (to say the least), and while i think most of the map looks quite good there are some sections i would like to have feel a little more 'real'. Some of this was me relying too heavily on static meshes (something i shouldn't have done with my id mapping background, but i find building and editing brushes in unrealEd obnoxious to say the least) so some of my rooms which should have been more varied brush-wise disappoint me. Also i envisioned 'more' in the elevators, and an actual skybox (its tough with high buildings, getting them so they don't just 'pop' in - i haven't gotten that yet), but what can you do when times short? For what did come together at the end i have to say, i am very happy with the final product, even if there are things i already want changed. There may be an updated version in a month or so tweaking the visuals, adding bot support and other things of that nature.
But not to shabby for a first release, if i do say so myself.
Honestly though i never ever could have made it here if it weren't for all the people helping me along the way. People in my clan, and in the unreal community and just in general for suggestions and comments and reassuring words of encouragement (which helped more then you all can know). I try to hit them all at the bottom, but that just doesn't seem like enough of an expression of gratitude so: THANKS EVERYONE!!! That's not really enough either, but we'll leave it at that.
Anyway, enough of my ramblings. Thanks for following my musings this far (assuming you did), and thanks more for playing the map. Thoughts and comments (and suggestions) are always welcome - stop by www.clan-holo.com and visit the forums (sorry, can't help a shameless plug).

-Glau

Heaping Mounds of Gratitude:

-To my wife, Jessi - thank you for putting up with the amount of time i've spent on this map (and UT in general). At least you know where i am right?
-Epic games and all the people who did such a bang-up job of bring us this wonderful game known as Unreal and for bringing back Assault with it
-The assault community in general, and in particular all those wonderful people who wrote wonderful tutorials without whom i never could have even gotten underway (all the tutorials used in this are listed in our forums as a sticky in the 'mappers brush' at clan-holo.com if you're interested)
-Clan Holo for all their comments and suggestions, thoughts, encouragement and belief in my abilities. Cloud was very influential in the earliest releases and helped me to focus and really cut out the painful crap. Venguard as well was very helpful in getting me through the editor. And of course the rest of you guys. You suck, but at least everyone else sucks more.
-Our Forum community, growing every day and really helping me to put a solid map together. They have been great with comments on the map, but Xerxes Hellfire, Zouave and EdGruberman have been specifically instrumental and informative as i've tried to learn the editor, giving me hints along the way. Thanks guys - especially Xer - if not for your constant vigilance i would people would still be bumping their head on that damn elevator!.
-Everyone who's played the map on our server through the (many) alpha builds and the final betas - i couldn't have made this map without you. The constant playtesting really put the gameplay on a level i am very proud of. And thanks for re-voting the map - it's always a good feeling.
-To Mike, my old roommate. The guy never played a fps but sure watched me play a lot of them. He had a number of good suggestions as well (like the outside fo the building base), so thanks for that, and of course the Linux server this file is hosted on.
-And to everyone else who i have probably forgotten. Without your help and comments and thoughts and bitching Holocorp would not be what it is today, a map i am proud to say i made and to release.

Known Issues:

-The power core has issues. Specifically, it doesn't reset when in an appropriate kill zone, and the icon is present throughout the map (with the directional arrow pointing at it). These can be fixed with a great modded core put together by Firecrack, but i haven't put it in yet (i also didn't want anyone else's content in my MSU submission) so when i get to putting out an updated version i will add the 'good' core
-The bot ai is weak (to say the least). This is mostly due to the rush at the end as i was trying to get it out, and as i don't tend to play offline it wasn't as much a concern as was getting a map that played well with othe people online (and as many many assault servers have no bots this was not as much of a concern). For those who play with bots i apologize, and may (in the future) put more time into making a badass-bot friendly version of Holocorp
-related to this the little blue line that goes to the next objective also doesn't work, as it is related to the bot pathing.
-There have been some lag issues on the exterior portion of the map for some people. This seems to be due to the size of the terrain and while i have attempted to fix it with antiportals, on slower computers or computers where people have things set too high it may chug before you get inside. Sorry bout that, blame it on my oobie-noobieness with the unreal engine.

About me:

In case you were wondering, i'm a biology graduate student starting my sixth year (God grad school is hell) studying immunology, specifically T cell development for the two people out there who care. I've been mapping since my first map for Duke3d when i was an undergrad, and after a few multiplayer maps there i turned to Quake mapping, and made a few more multiplayer maps that were fun enough when we overtook the computer lab. That fell away after i graduated, then i got back into mapping for quake 3, making a jumble-themed deathmatch map and about 3/4 of a Q3F map. I've also done some playing with doom3 and am currently working on an unannounced Halflife mod. Up to Holocorp i haven't felt (rightly so) that any of my maps should be inflicted upon the public however.
Outside of Unreal mapping and a waning interest in science i am part of Holographic Assassins [Holo], a truly impressive group of assault players, and generally some damn good guys. I've been dappling in running servers as well, having a Linux server (built by me!) now which hosts multiple websites and forums and cost a whopping nothing (HA HA at you M$). I read a lot and am kindof a movie snob as well. Additionally i like to think of myself as being (or possibly being) a writer, and have at least started writing reviews of maps and games at www.glaurungslair.com (shameless plug #2). I'm married, and my wife and i have 2 cats, a snake and an iguana (my wife's a veterinarian).

Legal Crud:

This map and the content therein may be freely distributed via electronic means but not sold for profit without the authors express permission. Also, the content within may not be used for any other map or work unless the author gives his express permission.

Unreal Tournament 2004 (c)2004 Digital Extremes, Epic Games, Inc.
All Rights Reserved. Unreal Tournament and the Unreal Tournament logo are
registered trademarks of Epic Games, Inc. All other trademarks and trade
names are properties of their respective owners.

DownloadsII 5.1.1von CyberRanger & Jelle
basierend auf ecDownloads 4.1 © Ronin
Deutsche Übersetzung von captainslater
» Downloads
Neueste Downloads
Beliebtesten Downloads